Advanced talks held over Saul/Griezmann swap deal

Following on from Anfield Central’s update on the matter yesterday, Fabrizio Romano confirms that advanced talks have been held for a swap deal for Saul and Griezmann.

After reaching out to a contact well-versed with the goings-on in La Liga, Anfield Central was told that talks had been held between Barcelona and Atleti.

BARCELONA, SPAIN - MAY 8: (L-R) Saul Niguez of Atletico Madrid, Lionel Messi of FC Barcelona during the La Liga Santander match between FC Barcelona v Atletico Madrid at the Camp Nou on May 8, 2021 in Barcelona Spain.
BARCELONA, SPAIN – MAY 8: (L-R) Saul Niguez of Atletico Madrid, Lionel Messi of FC Barcelona during the La Liga Santander match between FC Barcelona v Atletico Madrid at the Camp Nou on May 8, 2021 in Barcelona Spain. (Photo by David S. Bustamante/Soccrates/Getty Images)

We were told there was the ‘potential’ for a swap but it depended on Griezmann’s willingness to take a pay cut to re-join Atletico Madrid, who have wage-bill concerns of their own.

Green light given after advanced talks held

Our enquiry was made in the morning but at 18:15, it was reported by Fabrizio Romano that a major step was taken towards a swap deal being agreed.

He took to Twitter to say: “Barcelona and Atletico are in advanced talks for swap deal between Saul and Griezmann!

“Both players gave the green light in the last hours and Barça/Atléti now negotiating on price tags. Barça want money included.

BARCELONA, SPAIN - FEBRUARY 15: Antoine Griezmann of FC Barcelona celebrates after scoring his team's first goal during the La Liga match between FC Barcelona and Getafe CF at Camp Nou on February 15, 2020 in Barcelona, Spain.
BARCELONA, SPAIN – FEBRUARY 15: Antoine Griezmann of FC Barcelona celebrates after scoring his team’s first goal during the La Liga match between FC Barcelona and Getafe CF at Camp Nou on February 15, 2020 in Barcelona, Spain. (Photo by Eric Alonso/Getty Images)

“Liverpool and Chelsea keen on Saul if deal will collapse.”

Liverpool tabled €40m plus bonuses bid

The same source that told Anfield Central that talks were underway between Barcelona and Atletico over a swap deal says Liverpool made a €40m plus add-ons offer for Saul.

This was rejected by Atletico as they want €50m all cash but Liverpool have left their offer on the table in the event that the plug is pulled on a swap deal.

As things stand, Barcelona are in the driving seat to sign Saul.

Where do we stand on Liverpool and Saul?

The fact that Liverpool briefed the local media that they weren’t interested in the Spaniard at all speaks volumes.

 

Liverpool Echo journalist David Lynch, speaking to LFCSCN, boldly claimed that there was never any interest in the player from the Reds.

While it may be true that they have stepped back as a consequence of Barcelona’s advanced negotiations to sign Saul or that they have moved on to a different target, there is no denying that interest has existed for at least a few weeks.

Liverpool are very good at keeping a tight lid on info coming out of the club on their end but they have little to no control on what the player, his agent or the club they’re negotiating with leak to the media.

The fact is that news of Liverpool’s interest in Saul has been circulating in Spain for weeks but it does seem as though it’s reached an unfortunate end.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

- Advertisment -

Most Popular

Advanced talks held over Saul/Griezmann swap deal

Following on from Anfield Central's update on the matter yesterday, Fabrizio Romano confirms that advanced talks have been held for a swap deal for...

Lionel Messi agrees to take 50% wage cut 

Lionel Messi has reportedly agreed to accept a 50% cut on his wage with Barcelona to help them reduce their wage bill. If the great...

Barcelona seriously interested in Saul – Griezmann swap deal

Michael Edwards could be playing 4D chess with his approach for Saul Niguez and he could use former star Luis Alberto to his advantage. Liverpool...

Mino Raiola has not been in contact with Rousaud over Erling Haaland transfer

Erling Haaland's agent Mino Raiola told Sport1 on Thursday that he has not spoken with any presidential candidates at Barcelona despite claims he's been...